Monday, July 28, 2008

I'm in America...

Although I've adjusted now, I had a rough start to America which started with traveling to Beijing. I had to take a train to Beijing with all my luggage because the school couldn't get a car to Beijing that wasn't forbidden by the government (because of the Olympics). So I started out Friday morning at 8:30 towards Beijing and my flight from Beijing wasn't until 4 pm. After the train, I had to take a taxi an hour and a half to the new terminal (which is really cool by the way.) I didn't arrive in Des Moines until 9:30 at night Friday (which technically was the next day in China). I was on the verge of tears after getting through O'Hare because I almost missed my flight to Des Moines. Everything went smoothly in China (note I said China, not America). It just took an ungodly amount of time to go from Shijiazhuang to Des Moines. Immigration sucked and so did burning my hand the next night.

So now that has all died down. Except it's really quiet here and there are NO people anywhere and there are so many cars. Also, whenever I go outside, my eyes hurt because there's no pollution to filter all the bright colors.

When I went to Wal-mart on Saturday, I managed to stay calm until I got to the check out lane and then I gasped at the candy. Oh candy!!! I grabbed the Reese's peanut butter cups. They don't have a wide variety of delicious chocolate candy in China. So that's been my semi-awkward transition back to America thus far.

No comments: