Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Okay, I know I’m not in India but there are some things that are identical to how it is in India. First example: On a bus in Xi’an, the extra people standing in the aisle ducked to avoid being caught by the police. It’s illegal to have a packed bus and have people standing in the aisle. At least for a bus passing a checkpoint. Second example: Bargaining with vendors. They say, “Mingtian, wu kuai” meaning “Tomorrow, 5 kuai.” They say the same thing when you bargain with vendors in India. Tomorrow it’ll be that price. Of course they don’t mean it but it’s funny they say the same thing.

I got back from a very shady dinner with some old creepy Chinese men. I went with my friend because there was no way I was going to let her go alone. There was nasty Great Wall wine involved and some bizarre phone calls. The “tea master” would not let us leave and I just finally got up, put my coat on and said I have to teach early in the morning, which I do. I don’t know how we would have gotten out of there if I hadn’t done that. The tea master kept making excuses, “one more glass,” or “one more cigarette” to my friend. It was not that late, but late enough. I was tired and the whole American and Indian fetish is getting old.

Today I decorated my room for Christmas. I feel more cheerful already.

No comments: