Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Enterovirus, octupus and train crashes

There has been an outbreak of Enterovirus 71 in China which has killed some children and stricken about 1200 ill. So the following picture is kind of frightening.
http://shanghaiist.com/2008/04/30/dish_of_the_day.php

I saw this yesterday on shanghaiist.com and it is really the one thing I will not try. I will not be eating anything that is still alive anytime soon. It freaked me out so I asked one of my Korean friends if he has had it and he has octopus that has been freshly killed so that the tentacles are still moving but not while it was still alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BIDJlsSSFM

A couple of days ago there was a train crash on the way from Beijing to Qingdao which killed 70 and injured roughly 400 people. The reason why I mention this is because my friend and I were planning on going to Qingdao for the May holiday. If our school had given us a few more days off like lots of other schools, I could very well have been on that train because it was an overnight train which is what I was thinking of taking when I looked at the train schedule. Anyway, my friend and I had been talking and we had changed our minds the next day (before the train accident occurred) because there weren’t many hostels available so that worked out.

No comments: