Sunday, November 18, 2007

Oh China

A few days ago I was warning Jenna to avoid riding her bike in or near any puddles at my campus. “Why?” she asks.
“Oh because there’s sewage spilled everywhere.”
“And how did that happen?”
“Oh well they couldn’t fit it in the truck, so they spewed it on the ground.” This sounded very logical when I said it. Then I realized how absurd my life really is.

A few nights ago, I went to go get lamb skewers with Jenna at the corner across from my school.
Jenna- “Man, I will never be able to out hard-core the Chinese.”
Me – “Yeah” We watched for a few minutes as the couple set up their corner stand and start their fires for the barbeque pit.
Jenna- “He just walked through the fire.” Exactly.

Other absurd things that now seem normal:
-couches and branches in the middle of the street covering manholes where construction is happening (who’s really going to be stupid and run over a couch, right?)
-cars in the wrong lane…and on the sidewalk…and wherever there is enough space
-walking calmly into said traffic and expecting not to be hit
-foreigners drink free at certain clubs
-everybody is your friend…Hallo!
-Communist party members closing buildings instead of security closing buildings

Things I will miss when leaving China:
-eating family style and the food
-barbeque!!!! (lamb sticks and mantou steamed bread are particular favorites of mine)
-how everyone is always outside doing something
-only working 12-15 hours a week
-bargaining (or arguing in some cases)
-there are no drive thrus in Shijiazhuang!!!
-not understanding what’s going on and claiming ignorance when stuff happens
-working on my Chinese with cab drivers (see above)
-naps!! People will just conk out wherever they are after lunch, for example, at a counter manning a shop or under/on a statue or on a streetcart. It’s fantastic and I don’t know why Americans don’t have scheduled naps
-milk tea with boba

No comments: