Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Tunisia? Where the hell is that country??

Around 10:30 pm Monday night I heard a knock on my door. I opened it to see a strange man there. He introduced himself and asked if he could come in. I said ok because I didn’t want to be rude but in my mind I was thinking, who the hell is this? So he sits down and I continue to hang up my laundry and he gets to talking about how he likes beer. He asked if I liked beer. I said sometimes, then he asked if I had any here. I don’t actually keep beer here, sorry man. Then he offered me a nut from his pocket. I said oh, no that’s okay, then he said it’s from Tunisia. So of course I couldn’t refuse then, right? I can’t say no to someone offering something from their homeland right? Even if it came from somebody’s pocket? So I had a shady ass Tunisian nut. It wasn’t terrible. There wasn’t as much lint as I had thought.

So we talk and he says I’m so lonely here, I don’t have any friends. I felt bad for him kinda, he had only been here for 3 days and he is a student of Chinese so he wasn’t getting help from the university like the foreign teachers. He kept asking me why I didn’t have a boyfriend and why I don’t like anything. Then he said he didn’t like Chinese girls because they don’t like guys to kiss them and they don’t like to “practice love.” He also mentioned he was Muslim. I’m not sure what sect of Islam allows for alcohol and “practicing love” with Chinese girls. Yes, this is when the conversation got too awkward even for China. I told him I’d introduce him to other foreigners here and he said noo, that’s okay, I said there was a nice Korean woman living in the building and he said, oh, I like women. I got him to finally leave by saying I had to teach early morning, which was true.

There is one cool thing about him aside from the rest of him being creepy: he knows Arabic and some Chinese. I would love to learn Arabic and need to learn Chinese. He needs to learn English more. I can help him with that. In the daytime. Not in my room. No beer involved. Or “practice love.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sherly! I forgot you had a blog until today...and I laughed at this one! Sounds like you are enjoying China! I can't believe you've been gone for so long!